Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Another Reason to Google

"So I met this really, really cute guy on Friday." A typical conversation with a girlfriend. And as a good girlfriend does, I made a small display of excitement and leaned closer for the (hopefully juicy) details. Cute, smart, funny, nice, kissing, hand-holding, texting, and so forth, not bad for a late Friday night random bar catch. When you cast your reel in a dim crowded bar, you never know what kind of bottom dweller you'll hook. Especially a bar on the Sunset Strip. "Soooo, what happened?" I replied in rote perfection. "I Googled him," she continued. This was going to be good, I could feel it in my toes. "And...he was ALL over dontdatehimgirl.com!" Married and a serial cheater, his rap sheet of crimes against monogamy was long. Plus apparently he had a reputation for physical abuse and snorting lines. Juicy. I managed to conceal my excitement, yes yes yes, finally I knew somebody who had actually turned up some dirt on dontdatehimgirl.com, a site that has been around for years but had yet to prove itself as a useful tool for weeding out the more problematic contenders within the Los Angeles dating scene. It's like a Yelp for daters, where you might come across a review of that nice guy you've been seeing for a few weeks, including name, picture, location, known monikers (both online and off), as well as an impartial account of his most shocking shortcomings. If he's listed with an aka of "Syphillis Sam," it's definitely time to delete his number and call your gynocologist.

Obviously, my friend intends on fabricating some awkwardness to rid herself of this charming pipe bomb. She did express some discouragement, and I suggested Match.com. As far as I'm concerned, dating websites are like gyms. You want at least a reasonable monthly fee in order to avoid some of the people you don't want to get sweaty with.

No comments:

Post a Comment